Tuesday 26 June 2012

On Sunday we all went to Grandad's house for Sunday lunch. Grandad makes the best Sunday lunch, which is borne out by the fact that both my husband and my son nearly always clear their plates of food which is a rarity in my house! We had roast beef and all the trimmings and it was lovely, thanks Dad.


Mr F also enjoys it at Grandad's as there are different toys there, so half the fun is going into the cupboard in the spare room and getting the toys out. We've an old oval shaped train track which an old friend from work gave us and Mr F loves this. It has a road track in the centre so both trains and cars can come out to play. I think Grandad got a bit fed up of us using his wine bottle holder as a bridge, it's a very nice arch shape and makes a perfect bridge over the tracks. So on Sunday he had a lovely surprise for Mr F as he'd made him a special bridge out of wood and duck tape. Fantastic! 


Grandad's pretty good at that sort of thing as he's a carpenter by trade and well, I feel it's my duty to help him keep his hand in with such a worthy skill and I can assure you that on a regular basis he is kept busy with little projects for me and Mr F. When I eventually find the missing wheel to the big white limousine Mr F has broken, then Grandad'll fix it!


After a great afternoon, it was time to go. This is most definitely not the fun bit. Mr F is fascinated by Grandad's pond in the front garden especially as it has water snails in it, and to get to the car we have to pass nearby the pond. It's a tiny pond but still holds a dread for anyone watching when Mr F goes running over to it shouting "Tails" (interpret = snails). There's always a chorus of "stop", "slow down", "mind the pond", and various others. I don't think he'd fall in as he's done that in our pond at home and that's a whole other horror story (but obviously one with a good ending).


Having seen "tails" in the pond, we then pry him away. I wish I could say he trots over to the car, gives Grandad a big hug and kiss and sits amiably in his car seat, I wish! We forcibly extract him from the garden and deposit him in the chair whilst bribing him with a milk bottle in order to get him buckled up. He then ignores Grandad and sulks tearfully and noisily in the car seat. Eventually he gives Grandad a kiss and that special look of don't make me go home with these people. On that note, we depart. 


No sooner have I parked the car at home then Mr F throws up, yep all over himself, the car seat and the car. Of course my first thought was yuk that's all over my car, no just kidding my first thought was yuk the car seat, no just kidding again, really my first thought was has he finished, get him out of the bl@@dy car quick!


He was fine 5 minutes afterwards, we went indoors and stripped off the yukky clothes and he played happily on the floor with his trains as if nothing had happened. Resilient little things toddlers! No stresses at bedtime either as Daddy put him to bed (only because I had an important phone call to make, believe me it's not usual and especially not when illness is involved!) 


The rest of my evening was spent relaxing and enjoying the pleasant summer idyl of a lazy Sunday evening. In my dreams. My evening consisted of stripping off the car seat covers and seat belt straps and getting them washed and put on radiators to dry before the morning as we had a pre-school outing to get to for 10am! Argh! I do so enjoy our relaxing weekends together........


xx


No comments:

Post a Comment